Pregnancy is a blissful time in a woman’s life. But sadly, not all pregnancies are safe or problem-free. Pandemic has also contributed to anxiety, and as a result, most women are not able to enjoy the process.
Early pregnancy can be an exciting time for some and nerve-racking for others. A new mom may experience pregnancy complications and get apprehensive about the process. At times, it is natural to feel worried about the pregnancy and health of your unborn child. And that is the reason why most women prefer to have an early pregnancy check (reassurance pregnancy scan).
1] Why Should You Have An Early Reassurance Pregnancy Scan?
- To confirm single or multiple pregnancies: An early reassurance or pregnancy scan is the first scanning in your pregnancy, and will help to confirm whether you’re carrying single or multiple babies. If multiple births or twins run in your family, the scan can help detect two heartbeats or amniotic sacs.
- To ease your concern: Whether it is your first pregnancy or you had complications in your previous pregnancy, a reassurance scan will ease all your concerns related to the development of the unborn child. The scan can trace the heartbeat and check the positioning of the baby. An early scan can access your pelvic area & ovaries and let you know about the health of both – you and the baby.
- It helps to find out the due date: An early reassurance scan lets you know about the accurate due date by measuring the baby. It helps you to plan for the little one’s arrival and your maternity leave if you’re working.
- The waiting period: First-time expectant mothers have many questions when it comes to pregnancy. If you Google search the answers, it may contribute to your stress. Plus, they might not be accurate. Thus, the best thing you can do is book a simple reassurance scan to lower your stress level.
2] Benefits of Early Reassurance Scan
- After 35, most women have pregnancy concerns, especially if they had a miscarriage before. The test lets you know about the baby’s position so you can be stress-free.
- The early reassurance scan also lets you rule out the chances of complicated pregnancy. The scan helps to monitor the position from the crown to rump, which provides the due date.
- An early scan will let you hear the heartbeat that is usually detected using the ultrasound after six weeks. Hearing the heartbeat can be reassuring for the newly pregnant mom. An early scan is a magical experience where you’ll get to see the baby in 2D, 3D, or 4D images.
- You will be able to take the early pregnancy scanning report, so you have the advantage of starting your baby scan collection as early as six weeks. It not only helps you to make a connection with your baby but also gives you a real feel of pregnancy. Also, a scanned image will put your mind at ease.
Further reading: When To Take A Pregnancy Test (10 Signs and Symptoms)
3] When Can You Book an Early Reassurance Scan?
You can book a reassurance scan as early as six weeks. But for a detailed test, you will need to wait for about 16 weeks when the fetus is developed. The important scans during a pregnancy are includes:
- Early pregnancy reassurance test: You can get the first test done at seven weeks after you’re pregnant. It will let you know the baby’s placement, pregnancy due date, and heartbeat tracing.
- Early pregnancy scan and consultation: Along with the first test, a consultation will help you relieve your pregnancy concerns. It is ideal for women who have concerns regarding miscarriage or who had a complicated pregnancy. If you are worried about extreme pregnancy symptoms, the test will let you talk to an expert consultant after the scan report.
- Growth scan and well-being: This scan is done at 16 weeks and includes the assessment of the placental site and gender determination. It lets you see the fetus in 3D and 4D.
- NIPT Harmony test and early scan: It starts from ten weeks and includes early detection of trisomy. The test evaluates X and Y sex chromosomes and pregnancy dating.
4] What to Expect on the Day of the Scan?
- private early reassurance pregnancy scan, you will be given a form and asked to fill in the required details.
- Upon completion, you will be taken to the examination room, where a trained professional will guide you through the scanning process.
- The entire scanning procedure is painless, but if you do feel any discomfort, let the doctor know.
- Once the scan is done, you’ll get the report along with a 2D/3D scan image of the fetus.
5] What are the Types of Scans?
There are two methods of performing an early pregnancy scan, they are;
- Abdominal Scan: It is the most common method used by the top gynaecologists in the UK. In this method, a sonographer rubs some gel onto your tummy. They will then slide a hand-held device called an ‘ultrasonic transducer’ or ‘transducent probe’ over the womb to send sound waves through it to confirm the pregnancy.
Tip: Having a full bladder before the scan is beneficial as the liquid helps transmit sound waves. So drink approx 3-4 glasses of water an hour before your appointment. It can be slightly uncomfortable, but it will ensure the best screening results.
- Transvaginal scan: This pregnancy scan is generally performed during the early stages of pregnancy or when the regular scan does not provide clear results. Instead of using a probe on the tummy, it is lubricated with gel and gently inserted internally. This helps obtain results that are more clear and more reliable. It is vital to note that this procedure is completely safe for you and your baby.
6] What Type of Reassurance Can You Get With the Scan?
One in four women experiences miscarriage which is 25% of expectant mothers. According to research, if the baby’s heartbeat is detected in six to seven weeks of pregnancy, the chances of miscarriage falls to 10%. The rate of miscarriage keeps falling as the weeks pass and may become as low as 1% by the 12-week mark.
Most pregnancies result in healthy babies, but 20% end up in miscarriage. An early reassurance scan can help you hear the heartbeat and let you know about how the fetus development is progressing. The scan lets you know about the due date, which helps you feel reassured that your little one is doing good. An early appointment can benefit you and provide you with vital information for a healthy pregnancy.
An early reassurance scan can also help prevent any complications that may arise. Severe stress or depression can be a cause of worry. In this pandemic situation, it is important to keep your mind off stress. An early scan can relieve you of stress and give you a reason to smile. Most women are worried about birth defects, so the earlier you know, the better it is.
Further Reading: Early Pregnancy FAQs
Book your reassurance scan to know about your baby’s growth measurements, which may include head circumference and femur length. The test will let you know about the Fluid levels, which are important as they let you know about the safe progression of your pregnancy. If they are above or below, your doctor can help.
The reassurance scan allows you to hear the baby’s heartbeat and assure you that the fetus is healthy. The test also lets you know about the baby’s position, so a reassurance scan is essential to put your mind at ease.
Schedule an appointment today for an early pregnancy check!
Go here for more information on pregnancy diet.
Need to see a gynecologist?
We’ve made it simple for you to schedule an appointment right away via Whatsapp.