Tired of Heavy Periods? Let us help you.
Our women’s healthcare clinic in London offers effective diagnosis and treatments for heavy Periods/Menorrhagia. Book your appointment now and experience relief.
What Is Menorrhagia?
The term Menorrhagia is used to describe excessive or prolonged bleeding during periods. A heavy flow lasting longer than your regular period cycle or on a consistent basis could be a sign of serious underlying issues.
Symptoms of Menorrhagia:
For those who want to know what causes heavy periods (Menorrhagia), here are some basic heavy period symptoms;
- Anaemia and Pelvic Pain.
- Passing of huge amount of Blood Clots.
- Extreme Tiredness and Fatigue.
- Frequent changing of sanitary pads.
- Restriction in day-to-day activities due to severe bleeding.
Common Causes of Menorrhagia
For woman of all ages, going for a regular well woman health screening and sexual health check-up is essential if they want to enjoy a healthy life. It is estimated that around 50% of women suffer from Menorrhagia at some point in their lives. This condition is quite prevalent and if not treated can have a negative impact on your overall physical, emotional and psychological health. The most common causes of Menorrhagia includes:
Tests for Identifying Menorrhagia
Different Diagnosis is suggested by the gynaecologist based on the symptoms. These general examination and tests help determine the cause of heavy menstrual bleeding, enabling the doctor to prescribe effective heavy periods treatments.
Some of the tests for identifying Menorrhagia are:
- Blood Test – this includes complete blood count, iron count, haemoglobin and thyroid function test.
- Ultrasound Scan – this is performed to check the uterus (womb) lining, ovaries and the pelvis.
- Endometrial Biopsy – for this test, a sample tissue is collected from the inside of your uterus.
- Hysteroscopy – During this test, a thin instrument is inserted into the vagina and cervix to examine your uterus.
Our women’s healthcare clinic offers effective tests such as hysteroscopy and Period Pain Treatment Scan in London. This can help us diagnose the condition causing the heavy bleeding and offer appropriate treatment of heavy menstrual bleeding.
Treatments for Menorrhagia
As a gynaecologist in London, Mr N. Agarwal would recommend the following Menorrhagia treatments, based on a women’s age, existing medical conditions & the result from various physical tests and examinations.
- Contraceptive Pills – Aids in regulating menstrual cycles, helping reduce the heavy blood flow.
- Tranexamic Acid – Oral medication that prevents excessive blood loss.
- Mefenamic Acid – Another Oral medication for heavy periods, this is used to treat mild to moderate menstrual pain.
- Mirena Coil – A form of contraception, the Mirena Coil is an intrauterine system (IUS) that can help reduce heavy periods.
- Endometrial Ablation – This procedure includes removal of the Endometrial lining of the uterus, thus reducing bleeding or stopping it altogether.
- Hysterectomy – a permanent procedure, wherein, the uterus and the cervix is removed surgically.